Priests Pedaling for Prayers
A trio of priests is getting ready for a five day, 350 mile journey to inspire prayers and hopefully a new generation of priests.
For a third straight year Father Tom Otto, Father Michael Pica and Father Adam Cesarek will bike across the Catholic Diocese of Peoria. While the three priests are avid cyclists, their purpose is much bigger than a hobby; they are answering a higher calling.
“Cycling is something that for us has brought us joy, has brought us life, but there’s something even better that’s brought us more life and more joy, and that’s the faith and that’s the priesthood, and that’s what this ride is all about,” explains Father Tom Otto, Parochial vicar of St. Hyacinth and St. Patrick in LaSalle, IL.
This ride isn’t a fundraiser. It’s a prayer-raiser.
These three heard the call to priesthood, and they now hope many others can see their ride, reflect and pray on the journey God is calling on for everyone – no matter where that may lead.
“The goal is to kind of show the vibrancy, the joy, the life of the church, of the faith of the priesthood, to inspire people to pray,” said Father Tom. “We’re very adamant. We say this is not a fundraiser. This is a ride to raise awareness and to raise prayers.”
The trio will log around 75 miles a day, making several stops at churches and schools throughout their journey. Father Tom says you can follow their progress online at comeandfollowme.org/vocations-ride or on their Facebook page Priests Pedaling for Prayers. There you can make your prayer pledge and leave words of encouragement.
“We’re convinced that prayer is powerful, it’s effective, and so we want to inspire people to be connected with Him, so they can discover His plan for their life, and then also pray that the lord would send us more priests to serve in our diocese. To show that it’s a life worth living,” said Father Tom.
2019 Priests Pedaling for Prayers kicks off on Monday, September 30 in Rapids City and will cross the finish line Friday, October 4.
Schedule for Priests Pedaling for Prayers 2018
Monday 9/30/19 – Rapids City to Wyoming
- 8:45 AM "Grand Depart" Boat Launch near St. John’s Parish, Rapids City – following 8 AM Mass
- 10:30 AM Assembly and lunch and St. Malachy School. Geneseo
- 2:20 PM Assembly at Visitation Catholic School, Kewanee
- 5:00 PM Holy Hour at St. Dominic Parish, Wyoming
Tuesday 10/01/19 – Wyoming to Peoria
- 8:00 AM Mass at St. Dominic Church, Wyoming
- 11:00 AM Assembly and lunch at St. Edward School, Chillicothe
- 2:45 PM Assembly at St. Thomas School, Peoria Heights
- 6:30 PM Holy Hour for Vocations at St. Mary's Cathedral, Peoria
Wednesday 10/02/19 – Peoria to Lincoln
- 8:00 AM Assembly at Holy Family School, Peoria
- 10:20 AM Assembly at St. Joseph School, Pekin
- 2:30 PM Assembly at Carrol Catholic School, Lincoln
Thursday 10/03/19 – Lincoln to Rantoul
- 7:00 AM Mass at Holy Family Parish, Lincoln
- 10:45 AM Assembly at St. Mary School, Bloomington
- 1:00 PM Assembly at Epiphany School, Normal
- 7:00 PM Holy Hour at St. Elizabeth of Hungary, Thomasboro
Friday 10/04/19 – Rantoul to state line
- 8:20 AM School Mass at St. Malachy, Rantoul
- 10:40 AM Assembly at St. Matthew School, Champaign
- 1:00 PM Assembly at St. Thomas School, Philo
- 7:00 PM Central Catholic High School, Bloomington, football game: Central Catholic vs. St. Thomas More